Tuesday, January 24, 2017

First Impressions of Sydney

We've been in Sydney for about a week now, and I can honestly say it is a lot different than I expected. Before I came, everyone told me that Australia was like "a really hot America with dangerous animals". So I sort of expected that. However, I learned when I got here that just because they speak the same language as us, they are not the same as us. It is an entirely different culture. From the little things, like walking and driving on the left side of the road, to the less obvious things, like the fact that you're not supposed to tip at restaurants. Overall, I've had a pretty good experience. One thing that stood out to me is how many trees there are in the city! Sydney is so green and eco-friendly and I didn't know it was going to be like that. It's almost like everywhere you go in Sydney there is a view.

So far, I would say my favorite part of Sydney is the harbor area. I really like being there and seeing the Opera House. The Opera House is so pretty I don't think I'll ever get used to seeing it in person. Touring the Opera House was definitely one of my favorite excursions that we have done. I've always seen pictures of the Sydney Opera House but never thought that I would ever get to see it and go inside of it! I think the design of the Opera House is so unique and so I thought walking through it and learning about its history and how it was designed was truly a once in a lifetime experience. Before we go back to America I really would like to go see a show in it!

I think my other favorite part of Sydney that we have seen so far is Bondi Beach. Bondi Beach is so famous and I had always heard of it and saw pictures, but it looks even more stunning in person. Not only is the beach and the ocean pretty, but the restaurants and buildings around it are also very unique and create an environment that I had never experienced in America. I've noticed that the buildings, not only in Bondi Beach, but all over Sydney are very unique and is different from what I'm used to seeing in America.


No comments:

Post a Comment