Tuesday, January 24, 2017

The Three Major Keys of Studying Abroad

In the midst of the hustle and bustle of the Nashville International Airport, my father nestled me tight within his arms and reminded me of the three things he wished for me to find abroad: health, safety, and happiness.


Sitting adjacent to the terminal gate, my heart increasingly pulsed as the seconds ticked closer to my departure. My destination was Sydney, Australia, a land foreign to most Americans but near mystical to a farm girl from a rural background. Hands clenched to my seat, my mind focused on all the worst case scenarios possible for my voyage. What if they lost my luggage? What if I run out of money? What if I fall ill? What if I can't make friends with my new travel mates and have to face my worst fear of truly being alone?

In the panic of my mental frenzy, I sought comfort in the memory of my father's final warm embrace, and one final question grazed my mind: would I find health, safety, and happiness in Sydney, Australia?

Now, a week into my journey, I have found some preliminary answers.

My health worries were eased early on, as our study abroad representatives immediately directed on how to seek medical care if necessary. However, perhaps the biggest health scare common to Australia I had to learn the hard way. No, I wasn't bitten by the world's most poisonous spider as your typical internet clickbait news might lead you to believe. My first dilemma came from our day trip to Manly Beach, where the views are undeniably gorgeous, but even routine doses of sunscreen weren't enough to protect my pale skin from the wrath of the sun's vicious rays. Luckily, some aloe vera cream can work miracles, and I am fully prepared with sunscreen to spare for my next day of fun in the sun.

Moving from a small rural hometown to a major urban metropolitan hub in another continent certainly brings plenty of safety concerns, but from the moment my foot stepped off the plane onto Australian soil, I felt no need to fear. Walking through the streets of Sydney, I notice friendly faces, police officers on every corner, and even at night, all areas are well lit for safe travels. One of my biggest safety concerns at first was the fear being lost on the expansive Sydney transport system, which comprises of trains, buses, and even ferries. However, unlike previous experiences with American train systems, the Australian system has thus far proven itself easy to navigate and overall a quite peaceful experience! Admittedly, cars driving on the left side of the road will still take some getting used to, but luckily I have three months to learn.

Finally, I ask, one week into my Australian adventure, have I found happiness? Well, I could put it into words, but I think I'll let the pictures do the talking.


3 months, 14 amazing fellow scholars, and 3 major keys to finding success abroad. Thanks for the well wishes, Dad. I'm ready to head full force into the experience of a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment