Tuesday, January 24, 2017

The Difference Between a Vacation and a Home


Travelling has always been a luxury for me. Even though I grew up in a military family, my closest connection to the wonders of the world was through my army father as he brought back souvenirs. person.However, everything changed when I met my best friend in high school who just so happened to be from Sydney, Australia. Cultural differences aside, my friend Georgia and I were the same

As the years went by and our friendship grew stronger, it was time for me to graduate high school. As a present from my generous parents, I was given the opportunity to fly to Sydney for three weeks. At the time, I couldn't even fathom the idea of leaving America. It was easily one of the most terrifying yet exciting happenings that has occurred in my life.

I remember stressing over the differences between our culture and theirs. What should I pack that makes me fit in? Will people notice I am a foreigner? Will I understand Georgia's family when they start talking in their accented slang?

In my typical fashion, I was being a bit overdramatic. The stresses were all in my head and I had the time of my life. I climbed the Sydney Harbour Bridge, petted kangaroos and koalas and experienced the lifestyle of a typical Australian. The three weeks flew by, and I was already on a plane back to LAX.

Flash-forward one year later, I am given an opportunity that seems almost too good to be true. Not only could I spend a semester abroad that grants me an internship, but I will be living in what had become my favourite place on earth. I would be able to visit my friends again! I entered this study abroad program head-on, with absolutely no hesitation.

This study abroad experience was obviously a tad bit different since I had already been to Sydney. Unlike my peers who were completely new to the city, I already had an idea of what to expect. Because of that, my impressions of studying abroad here are a bit different. I have noticed very big differences between vacationing somewhere and actually calling that place home.

To start, there is a different mindset. I never felt sad or stressed before, as I knew I would be back in America within a couple of weeks. Today, I have almost exactly three months in an almost completely unfamiliar city. It will take some getting used to that public transportation, the word "mate" and bugs crawling inside my apartment is now my new norm.

There are also major cultural differences that I did not encounter before. The idea of laundry not only being expensive and that most don't even dry their clothes is beyond me. Some don't even know what dryer sheets are! Sydney seems to also be heaps more eco-friendly than America could ever imagine being. I am also still finding my ropes around the public transit, as I did not depend on it when I was here before.

The experience of grocery shopping is a whole ordeal in itself. It is very daunting to shop in a store you have never heard of, Australians rushing left and right, as you try to interpret brand names that you don't recognize. Not to mention the prices are outrageous. I tend to forget that Australia is, in fact, an island and therefore must price their products according to how much it costs to import it.

It is the small things that I have encountered each and every day that really remind me of where I currently am. Australia is a beautiful country with a very fascinating culture. It will just take me a little time to fully immerse myself and try to fit in with the "Aussies" myself. I am excited to continue to embark on this journey. I have a feeling that once I find myself really getting the hang of the culture and the routine, it will be time to unfortunately leave. If only I stay longer!

No comments:

Post a Comment