Saturday, April 22, 2017

Family

When I arrived in Sydney on January 18th, 2017 on a record breaking hot day with 14 other students who were just as scared and nervous as I was, I had no idea what was really in store for my trip.

Throughout my time here, I have become good friends with all of the people on our trip, but there are a few that have grown close to my heart.

I became roommates with five other people.  Olana, who was my personal roommate, is spunky, fun, adventurous, a Nutella monster, and an amazing photographer.  We spent many nights laughing and discussing events from the day, and sometimes watching a little too much of the Office when we should have been sleeping.  I was so grateful to get a roommate who loves the Lord and who strives to be a better person each day.

 My next roommate Adam, who we often call the grandpa of the group because he goes to bed so early, is a good cook and often offers to cook a meal for us.

Emily is a girl after my own heart.  She loves food even more than I do, and will literally go crazy if you mention the words free AND food.  She always makes me laugh and feel great and has a very witty sarcastic humor that always makes me cry with laughter.  She has taken a shopping cart from off the street, and took a kid's lunchbox from University of Sydney.  She's awesome.

If Shelby was't around, the kitchen would be a wreck.  She always takes care of the dishes when we forget.  She makes the best spaghetti ever, and she works so hard at her work! She got us tickets to see the best show we have ever seen, and I don't think my experience would be the same without it! Aside from that, Shelby is a great friend who puts her all into friendships.  She is fun, beautiful, and I love her laugh!

My last roommate, Hunter is the glue to the apartment.  He always has a positive outlook on life and is always ready for another adventure. Although he may not have the best luck, getting stuck in a hurricane, constantly having trouble with the laundry machines, and getting stuck in a tent with a Chinese girl, he definitely has the best stories to tell. And although he constantly turns on the air in our apartment, and almost kills us in the kitchen when he cooks with spices, I don't think this apartment or this trip would be the same without him.  I have loved having our sarcastic battles and our spur of the moment adventures that always end in laughter.

Each one of these strangers three months ago, have now become some of my closest friends.  I think what I will miss about Australia most of all, is coming home to our crazy dysfunctional family.  I will miss all the late night chats and stories from the day or before we met each other.  I will miss watching (and sometimes screaming) at the TV with everyone when a Married at First Sight episode has yet another scandal.  And although we did fight, like any normal family, we always came back together.  We almost always did trips and daily activities with at least one person from the group, and when someone came home, they were always asked about their day and if they were ok.

I didn't think when I came here that I would grow so close to anybody.  The mention of the word "family" in the beginning made me mad, because who could become family after only three months? Doesn't it take years to form strong friendships?   I can see now however, why we were called a family.  We had no choice in becoming friends, we were just thrown together, just like how family can't choose who they are related to.  But one of the best things about being a "family" is that we can all relate to each other.  When we come home, people will eventually tire of hearing about our times in Australia, and life will continue like normal, except it's not normal.  We have all changed and we have all experienced things that no one else has experienced.  We will sometimes be sad and want to talk with someone who gets what we are feeling and relive old memories.  It will be then that we will count on our "family" to save the day.

I have loved every part of Australia: the beaches, Hillsong, walking around Darling Harbor and Circular quay, and eating too much gelato.  And although leaving all that behind will be tough, the hardest part about leaving Australia will be when I say my last goodbyes at the airport early tomorrow morning.


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful and meaningful. Saying goodbye is painful, and we're sorry you have to experience it, but learning that people can quickly grow close and be family is a priceless lesson. God has given you friends of the heart, some of whom you'll stay in touch with for life, and some of whom are yours for a season. It doesn't diminish the sense of family you had together for this time. It enriches you all and will affect the way you see people and life from here out. We're so glad you had this experience, Cayla! Now praying for safe travels for all of you as you come home.

    ReplyDelete