Monday, April 3, 2017

Sweet 1713

Before coming to Australia, I had met everyone that I would be with for three months- some I knew beforehand, most I didn't. I assumed that I'd come here, do what I was supposed to do, and go home and not be any different than I was when I left.

I was wrong.

I have made friends here that have made me grow, and will leave an impact on my life forever; some from work, most from church, but all of the girls I come home to everyday. This blog post is dedicated to them.

The girls of 1713 never stood a chance by anyone in the beginning.

"You''re living with 8 girls..? How is that gonna work?"

Truth is: I didn't think it was going to work.

After coming from living in a sorority house with 40 girls for a semester (and almost pulling my hair out from the stressful bliss it was,) I was a little uneasy about coming into a new place and living with new people.

What if they were all crazy? What if they didn't like me? OR MOST IMPORTANTLY: What if they steal my food?

I constantly played out multiple scenarios in my head on the plane ride here thinking of the worst possible outcomes of this trip. (I worry a lot, it's kind of my thing.)

I'm glad this time that I was wrong.

We've been through a lot in over 2 months of living together:
-cockroaches
-Dr. Anne Rees
-the entire Urbanest staff
-Whole30

...I could go on.

But we've also grown together and made so many good memories during this crazy adventure of ours. We've traveled all over New Zealand, celebrated birthdays extravagantly, spent countless weekends soaking up the sun, spent nights out on the town, gone scuba diving in the Great Barrier Reef, and we're not even done yet.

The most important thing I've noticed about these gals as these couple months have gone by is that everyone brings something different. Whether it's a mindset, perspective, or sense of humor, each and every one of my roommates has made an impact on me. I've laughed with Sam at midnight about who knows what, headed to Hillsong and talked about life with Mary, and stuffed my face with Catie (one too many times). Austyn and Haley show me what its like to have a good time and genuinely let go and enjoy life, Elle always provides me with the dose of sass I need to get through the day, and Abby B.'s gentle spirit always welcomes me into any room she's in.

So room 1713, this one's for you. Thank you for being one of a kind. Thank you for all you've done to make this trip what it's been. Thank you for exceeding everyone's expectations, including my own. I love you all so much, and am so happy I get to live day to day life in Australia with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment