Wednesday, April 19, 2017

See You Late A(ustralia)ligator

I think that I have been so busy having a great time that I haven't accurately communicated my experience on this blog. So as this amazing adventure is wrapping up, I'd like to say a few words.

Australia has been one of the greatest blessings in my life.

It has made me grow up fast. Moving my life completely elsewhere and starting over has been an unbelievable challenge. I had to learn how to navigate a new city, completely reliant on public transportation. I was forced to manage my time and money appropriately. I had to be responsible and show up to my internship even when I didn't want to, even after I had made mistakes the day before.

It has made me realise who I am and who I want to become. I have been challenged in my beliefs and values - and I have been challenged to stand by them even when others didn't. I had to become comfortable in who I was so that I could actually live life here to the best of my ability. I have been inspired by so many people here who have shown me bits of character and lifestyle that I would like to adopt. I realised I love eating healthy and exercising, just as much as I love gelato, donuts and watching Netflix and that somehow you can have balance of both worlds.

I have grown as a journalist and fallen completely in love with stories. I love to tell them, to hear them, and to write them. It has shaped my future career path by validating my skills as a story teller, but also inspiring me to do more than that. As much as I love writing, I have found I love exploring and experiencing. I want to build a life that incorporates all those things while giving back to others. I have been shown the importance of hospitality and kindness and the difference it makes in the world.

I increased my love for travelling. I wish I could have seen more of this beautiful country, but I am grateful for all that I could see. Now I will take this love back to my country and try my best to find ways to see more of it.

It has shown me my love for culture. I love experiencing difference. I have enjoyed trying new foods and meeting new people. I have a list of all the different nationalities I have met -14 so far.

I have made so many friends, some that I even get to take home with me. I have loved living with the girls, and I have loved each of the new friends I made through Hillsong. I'm thankful that people let me into their home and their lives, and took a chance at knowing some crazy Americans. These people have made all the difference of this experience and have grown me tremendously through their love and hospitality.

Before I came, I said that in everything I just wanted to be present. To really feel each detail and take in every moment. I know that I have done just that. I have felt my toes in the sand, the breeze in my hair, the bird poop on my leg (lol, not funny).

As the sun sets and the seasons change, so my time in Australia comes to an end. And as the surfers say "Don't say goodbye, instead see you later, because you never know what will happen in the Surfing world," I won't say goodbye to Australia, because I am sure this life has more unexpected adventures for me.








No comments:

Post a Comment