Friday, April 21, 2017

Growth

If I had to choose a single word to describe my experience in Sydney, it would be growth.

With the other 14 scholars here, friendships have grown. We have experienced such adventure and beauty together, including coastal walks, hiking through the pouring rain in the Blue Mountains, and breath-taking (literally) scuba dives in the Great Barrier Reef. Admittedly, times working and living together for the past three months haven't always been the best, but we have always managed to work it out.  Through the past three months, we have learned each others strengths, weaknesses, and dreams, and together, we've learned to understand each other just a little bit more.

Through days of rain and days of shine, the grass has grown. It's hard to describe a beauty like Australia's, where the grass seems just a bit greener and the sky and ocean are just a bit bluer. I've often spent my days just sitting in a park, listening to the birds and taking in the views, wishing I could stay just a little longer.

Over three months separated from my friends, family, and my dog, I have grown. I was terrified to come to Australia. I spent the month prior to leaving the States, wondering why I would make a decision to leave and hoping for a reason to not go. The time came, and at moments I was lonely, but it was in those moments I realized that just because I am alone doesn't mean I have to be lonely. I learned the beauty of being myself and loving every moment of everyday of my life, rain or shine. I learned how to have fun with friends or alone. I learned that I can and I will achieve all my goals. I learned that the world is not such a scary place. I learned that I am ready to explore. I have grown, so much, and I am so excited to see what the rest of the world has for me.

Thank you Australia, for everything. I will see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment