Thursday, March 30, 2017

Are you ready to go home?

"Are you ready to go home?" I can't tell you how many times I have heard this from my friends and family back home, as well as locals that I meet around and at work.  Surely after two whole months of being in another country I would be ready to head to good old USA right?

Of course there are things that I miss at home, like going to a grocery store and actually looking at brands that I recognize, driving a car and not having to take the dreaded light rail( light does not mean fast as light btw), and simply coming back to my own house and spending time with my friends.  But I would be lying if I said I really wanted to go back home.  I love Sydney! Every day I love it more and more (except when it's raining for days on end) and I can't even think about going back to the US. I love the laid back atmosphere, and the fact that you can just walk almost everywhere.  I have lost almost 15 pounds since I've been here, and it's mostly from having to walk literally everywhere.  And even though it can get a little old and annoying, I actually enjoy my walk to my train stop every morning by myself, just taking in the sights and admiring all the different people around me.  I love the Australian accents and humor, and I think it will actually be really weird for me to hear American accents when I get home.  I just love how Aussies make fun of each other and make jokes, while not getting offended.  It's also cool to hear different perspectives and opinions, and not having to defend or fight with the other person if you disagree.

I love the warm sunny days with the ocean breeze and view, and even though I'm used to seeing all the touristy things, they still amaze me and make me realize how beautiful the earth really is.  I love the food and especially the coffee.  I don't think I will ever go back to instant coffee and a life without Tim Tams.  I miss my friends, but I have made so many new ones that I know will continue after this part of my journey.  I do miss the days when we could explore the city, because sometimes I feel like all I do is work, but once the weekends come, I try to make the most of the days.  I have learned so much about Australia in two months than apparently most Aussies learn in their entire lives.  I know that Sydney will always have a special place in my heart and if anyone tries to say something negative about Australia I will always defend it like it's my own country. I only have one month left in Australia but I plan to make it the best month ever.  I want to explore as much as I can, and feel like a true local, if only for a short time.  I'm not sure if I will ever be able to come back to Australia, but my dream is to come back soon and bring my friends so they can see just what an amazing place it truly is.  And I would love to visit the other amazing places in Australia like Tasmania, Melbourne, Perth, and maybe even New Zealand.  My love for travel has continued to grow as I've been here, and I know that this will not be my last international trip.

So am I ready to go home?

I am home.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, Cayla! You have the ability to live in the moment and adjust to your environment, making where you are 'home'. It's a gift that Military Brats and Third Culture Kids develop after a lifetime of living in new places and being at home in all of them. The Lord is going to use you in ways and places that will require that kind of flexibility and your ability to immerse yourself in other cultures. Expect a life of adventure! Love you! Pray for you!

    Gramma & Grampa

    ReplyDelete