Thursday, March 9, 2017

Part time intern, full time student


As I was heading off to my first day of work last week, I was thinking it was going to be like any other Journalism job.  I figured I would have to to do little jobs and I would stuck with editing stuff all day.  As soon as I got to my job though, I realized nothing was going to be like I thought it would be.  For starters, the company I work for is huge! We have a cafe, five floors, and multiple coffee machines( which I take advantage of multiple times a day.) I also didn't realize that I was going to be directly working with the video part of Fairfax.  I was a little sad when I found out I wouldn't be able to be a reporter or a news writer.  I also didn't realize how much work work was going to be.  I guess I figured that as an intern I would be doing little jobs and working around 32 hours a week.  Little did I know that I would be working around 40 hours a week, practically a full time job.  The first three days were completely stressful, full of learning all the ins and outs of a company, and trying to learn how to manage three different computer systems to post one video.  I literally felt like my head was going to explode from so much information, the train we had to ride every day was so full that I couldn't even breathe, and I was a little upset that everyone else was getting Fridays off and exploring, while I had to stay inside and work.  It was weird not seeing my roommate and suite mates all the time, and if I'm honest, I actually missed being at school with everyone and only doing school four days a week.

 But after the first week, I truly saw what a great opportunity this internship was for me.  My video director let us choose our own special project to do, let us go to cool events and film stuff, I got my first article published in the Sydney Morning Herald, and I'm currently working on a project that me and my roommate Haley completely wrote, filmed, edited, and will soon publish. I never thought that as in intern I would be able to do so much, and also learn so much! It made me realize just how little I really know about Journalism, and that there is so much more than reporting with a TV station.  One of the best parts about my job, is learning from the other workers.  Every one is so nice there, and they all want to know what life as an American is like, but they also want to make sure I know new things about Australia.  I now know so much slang, history, and just goofy things about Australia and the great people in it! They are all so proud to be called Australians, but they are also curious about how others live.  I never knew just how much they all knew about America.  I felt bad because I felt like they were teaching me stuff about America that I should have been teaching them.  They are all so friendly and always available to help me and Haley out, or just explain the words that came out of their mouths.  I'm truly excited to see what I can do by the end of this internship, and even more excited to learn all about Australians and how they live.  I think after living here for almost two months now, that I absolutely love Australians, and their fun, laid back lifestyles.  Although I think I could live without being on a stuffed train for 40 minutes.  I now treasure my weekends and try do as many things as I can, because before I know it, it will be time to leave this amazing place.  I also now treasure every moment I have with my roommate Olana and my suite mates.  I often don't want to go out at night because I want to know just how everyone's days went.  We have truly become a family and I will always remember this special time.  Although I am just an intern, I'm really a full time student, because we never stop learning and gaining new knowledge.



1 comment:

  1. Such quality content! I found this article very informative. I am waiting for your next post. Keep it up.
    I would like to introduce the cash payment job, you can easily post/ search your job with OzDial it’s totally free.

    ReplyDelete