Thursday, March 9, 2017

Perks

Before I arrived, I didi n to expect for there to be any 'low' moments throughout my trip. After all, I'd be living in Australia! How could I ever need a pick-me-up when my live would be a dream...right?

To my surprise, there have certainly been some days where I really needed some TLC. It's not like our lives are particularly rough here, but being 10,000 miles away from familiarity can be difficult, no matter how adventurous we claim to be.

Some mornings, my literal perk is a cup of coffee courtesy of Eastside Radio's espresso machine, and other days it is watching Married At First Sight with my apartment. Though, recently I have had a stroke of luck when it comes to little extra benefits. Primarily, the premier of Chimerica was the most amazing night ever, and has been recounted in perfect detail by the one and only Hunter McClure (see his post for the full story of the evening).

At the beginning of the week, my boss gave me a voucher for two free tickets to "Jasper Jones," the Australian film that recently debuted. So, last night, Shelby and I went on a friend date to the cinemas and enjoyed a mysterious, humorous, moving, action/ adventure-filled, love-story that spoke to innocence, racism, forgiveness, and corrupt small-town Western Australia the late 1960's.

Tomorrow I will be going to a few Saturday markets and enjoying my first beach-day in a few weeks (which is far past overdue), and I am looking forward to a sunny, uplifting, laughter-filled, day with my gals.

I have learned that even when you're living in paradise, life marches on. Nobody can escape the normal ebbs and flows of life...no matter how picturesque some weeks (or months) are. I have become more and more grateful for my friends back home, and simultaneously more grateful for each passing day here in Australia.

“I was within and without, simultaneously enchanted and repelled by the inexhaustible variety of life.” -F. Scott Fitzgerald

No comments:

Post a Comment