Monday, March 27, 2017

It's the Little Things

With less than a month until my journey in Australia comes to an end, it is safe to say that I have found a home out of Sydney. This city will always hold a piece of my heart, from the beaches to the diverse cultures.

While my love for this amazing city has only grown since I arrived, there are still times I naturally find myself missing home, my safe place, my comfort zone. I find it completely natural to occasionally feel almost an emptiness when exploring other areas of the world. The world is a massive, beautiful place, but nothing will ever beat your home.

However, I am fortunate enough to have some pretty solid friends that always ground me when I start feeling a little down. I cannot tell you how many times Hunter, Cayla, Olana and I have shouted patriotic songs at the top of our lungs in the evening. Hunter always like to take it a step further by kneeling with his hand over his heart for The Start Spangled Banner.

There are even times we put on a very overdramatic southern accent, just for the fun of it. While it is fun and silly at the time, I later find myself reflecting that interaction and really feeling grateful I had friends to play along. While the accents may be a bit overboard, just hearing a southern accent gives me contentment and peace.

Just last weekend, my fellow peers in Apartment 1713 put together a Southern Feast that anyone should be jealous of. I was honestly astonished by how well they pulled it off. It is safe to say that I have not eaten that well, or rather that much, since I left America. Between fried chicken, green bean casserole, baked macaroni, fried okra, and some banana pudding to finish off with, I was very content. Not to mention we also had a bit of fun chanting Rocky Top for our lovely Aussie guests at the dinner. 

All of these small things have really made a big difference. You don't realize it at the time, finding it to be a bit silly. However, when reflecting on my time so far, I realize that there were many times I was feeling a bit down or a bit homesick. Fortunately, I have surrounded myself with some pretty cool people that really know how to make me feel like I am still on Rocky Top.

It's the little things that can make me feel right at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment