Wednesday, February 8, 2017

10 Things I Didn't Expect to Miss

Culture shock is something I didn't ever think would happen to me. When planning for this trip, I never really considered what I would do if I experienced it. Now that I am here and I am noticing all the differences, I have realized it is quite exhausting. I get home everyday and feel more exhausted than I think I should. Though I do a tremendous amount of walking everyday, it is my mind that is more tired than my body. It is draining to constantly remind yourself of all the new norms and rules and to truly adjust to the change. That being said, here's 10 things that I'm shocked I miss from home.

1. Customer Service

I have never heard a truer statement for Australia. The "no worries" attitude boils over into every aspect of their life. Though that seems super cool, and it is until you would like some help in the grocery store and everyone could care less. No one works for tips here and the minimum wage is high so no need to provide exceptional service. 

2. Clean Toilets
Since they are so conservative with everything here, that included toilet water. Nothing is worse than walking into a stall where the last person didn't push the flush button 15 times to make sure it was clean.

3. Kroger
This is me looking for Kroger everyday. I'm almost willing to fly home at this point. The grocery stores here are actual zoos. I cannot every find anything I need, and when I do there is not a single brand I recognize. After I've been bumped into 57 times, I'm ready to just starve myself. 

4. Milkshakes

Milkshakes are my favorite things on earth and they do not exist here. A good Cookout American shake would be called a triple thick shake here and it would be made with gelato. Basically they are so thin that it's really just like milk and if you get cookies-and-cream it's just cookie soup. I asked someone today to please make it super thick - he put ice in it instead of more ice cream. 


5. English
Supposedly, they speak English here, but half the time I have no idea what people are saying. Everything is so abbreviated it is almost like depicting a secret code. Also all the z's are missing from words, random words have u's in them, z's are zeds and h's are heches. Who knew I'd pick up a new language while I was here. 

6. My Car 
Public transport is a bit of a challenge. I especially hate that I live five miles from the beach and it takes me two trains and an hour to get there. 

7. Tennessee Weather 
Seriously, the weather is actually pretty similar here. One day it's just kinda hot, and the next is it scorching hot. The craziest part is the rain. It will downpour for 20 mins, clear up, and then an hour later it is down-pouring again. This is a pretty consistent cycle that requires you to make room for an umbrella in your bag daily. Also, you have to beware of Australian snow - which is when the rain blows so hard it goes sideways, and there are no forms of protection for that. 

8. The Ozone Layer
The hole is pretty evident. You have to put on sunscreen just to walk outside or you will end up with a sunburn. There are no warning signs either; the first day we went to the beach we reapplied our sunscreen many times and are still reaping the effects. Red skin, blisters, freckles and somehow we never noticed till the act was finished. 

9. Two Dollar Bills

If you thought the two dollar bill was bad, imagine a two dollar coin. Or a one dollar coin. No bills here for those two. I am expected to keep up with these coins and carry a 3kg wallet around with me at all times. 


10. The Imperial System
It is hard to adjust to the metric system. I have no perspective of how fast people are driving here or how much coffee I'm getting in the morning. The only good thing may be that I weigh less than have as many kilograms as I do pounds. 

Overall, Australia is great, and I am just picking on them. I hope to soon be out of this culture shock thing and start adjusting to all these differences. These things have really made me appreciate home so much more. Hopefully, these differences will become less noticeable as I become a better Aussie. Until then, I guess I'll just blatantly be an American. 


No comments:

Post a Comment