Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Yoga from the Sky

Yoga and dance used to be my escape. At least four times a week, I was participating in either of the two. I enjoyed the techniques of breathing and control that are found in both art forms. Unfortunately, I had quit both in favor of focusing on my studies during my senior year of high school.

When I arrived in Sydney three weeks ago, I had been told by several locals that I should try the yoga classes held on Wednesday morning in the Sydney Tower Eye. As someone that is fascinated by heights, and never shies away from them, I was particularly interested in taking this class.

As a last minute decision, I woke up at 5 a.m., which should never be a time for any human being to start the day, and put on my yoga gear. As I set off to Sydney Tower Eye in the dark, I slowly started to wake up and really anticipate the journey I was about to take.

Let me tell you, I have never been for satisfied to wake up so early for something. I am so glad I didn't back out on having one of the most relaxing and rewarding experiences I have ever had. The observation deck, which houses the morning yoga classes, has 360-degree views of Sydney. My eyes quickly captured the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Sydney Opera House from one view, and Darling Harbour from another.

The yoga itself was more so a class for beginners, which is exactly what I needed after not stretching much in three years. It was a serene class, filled with deep breaths and calm instructions from the teacher. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that I still hold some of my flexibility and control.

This ended up not just being a relaxing yoga class for me, though. There was a moment during the class when we were trying our hand at the tree pose, I found myself entering the ultimate state of relaxation and awareness as I faced the floor-to-ceiling windows. I think it was that moment it really hit me just how lucky I am to be in such a beautiful place.

To be elevated so high up and to fully encompass the city I am in was a beautiful moment. As I tried to focus on my breathing, I would mentally point out places I have been fortunate enough to visit, as well as places I plan to put on my bucket list.

I would recommend this experience to anyone, as I think the class can cater to just about any person. Plus, you get free snacks and a million dollar view.



No comments:

Post a Comment