Friday, February 17, 2017

Update: It Feels Like a Home

My very first blog in Sydney highlighted the differences between the feelings of being on vacation and being home. I was currently in the honeymoon phase during my first weeks in Australia, loving the atmosphere and retaining as many memories and experiences as I could.

I think I can confidently say that Sydney has officially become a home for me. Between building a routine, creating a family atmosphere, and familiarizing myself with the small differences in this environment, it almost seems like America is more foreign to me than Australia.

As many of my peers part ways for Spring Break, it will be almost eerie to be in my newfound "home". I always felt like the biggest difference between a house and a home was the people that occupied it. There is almost a sense of emptiness without Hunter's complaining, Cayla's sassy remarks, Emily's snoring, Olana's music and Adam's cooking.

However, there are other aspects to finding a home that I have come to rely on. For example, familiarizing myself with the local ways. I finally found my favorite grocery store, which is easily Woolworth's. I am starting to naturally veer to the left when walking on the sidewalk. I don't have to think much when taking public transport.

I will also be strengthening my routine in the next couple of weeks as I start my internship. Not only am I excited for the opportunities I will be granted, but I will also have the experience of what I like to call "adulting". This will be my first time experiencing a 9 to 5 job every day. I hope that this new routine will further my love for building a home in Sydney, Australia.

After a month into this trip, I feel like I have lived here for ages, yet it also seems like I landed just yesterday. I hope to continue to strengthen my routine and become more comfortable with my surroundings like a local, while still retaining my excitement like a tourist.

No comments:

Post a Comment