Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Challenged


This week we were challenged to pick a spot in Sydney and just observe people for three hours. The goal of this activity was to see what we could learn about the culture just by observing. Once the assignment was discussed, I tried to observe everywhere I went anyway. What I started to notice has really challenged my view of what diversity is.

I think that in some places in America, particularly the University of Tennessee and surrounding areas, tend to view diversity as race and gender. But what I have seen here is that it has so much more elements than those two. Many people here that look very similar to me do not act or think at all like me, and some people that look very different than me act and think like me. Not only are there so many different races here, but there are so many different ideas, beliefs, traditions, hobbies, talents, foods, and activities. All of these things make up a person and all of these are unique to each. In Sydney more so than any other place I’ve ever been this is true. Each element has come together to make Sydney a mosaic of cultures into one. They all coexist and bring out beautiful parts in each; many even borrow ideas from each other. Countless different people shop in the Chinatown markets and celebrated Chinese New Year. Others are wearing very American style clothes and brands. Food here is from all over the world and various different kinds are represented. You can walk down the same street and see a burger joint, Chinese, Japanese, Mexican, and Italian all beside each other. People will be playing a guitar on one side of the street and a didgeridoo on the other. Instead of feeling like I am in one foreign country, I feel like I’m in many.

And though I have observed things that all seem very different than me or what I am accustomed to, I have noticed many similarities. Seeing couples and families shows me everyone has a desire to be loved and have relationships with others, whether that be romantic or just friendships. Seeing people give the homeless money shows me everyone has an element of compassion. Also seeing the homeless people reminds me that everyone struggles and everyone has a story. And some people here must have quite the story because how else would you end up in this part of the world. Watching street performers and surfers reminds me that everyone has talent. Seeing different artifacts of religion reminds me that all people have different beliefs and the need to fill the whole our Creator left.


Even when our differences make us seem very unfamiliar with each other, I think it’s important to remember we are all more similar in nature than we are different. We should appreciate, celebrate, and love the differences that make our world unique, instead of using them as a tool to divide us.

No comments:

Post a Comment