Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Strangers to Friends in Three Weeks


It has been three whole weeks living in Australia now. I have learned so much in my time here and looking back at my preparation for this trip, there was one thing I didn’t really take much into account: the people I am travelling with.

I was so focused on the classes and internship, going and doing everything I could possibly do, it didn’t occur to me to wonder what the people I would be living with would be like. It was a small, but also large thing that I overlooked.

I have been living with five people who were complete strangers in the beginning, but now, I am glad to say I consider them my friends. We have fallen into a loose routine and have come to know each other’s habits, likes, and dislikes.

Hunter will always turn the A/C on when he walks into the living room, freezing out all of us girls. Adam refuses to watch reality TV because the awkwardness makes him so uncomfortable. Shelby is great at keeping us all grounded, she is the voice of reason. Olana can almost always be found planning a new trip/excursion every day. And Cayla, last but not least, is about the sassiest and sweetest girl I have ever met.

Most nights you can find us on the couch, watching The Bachelor or Married At First Sight, talking and laughing. Sometimes it gets a little crowded, the small trashcans overflow, and there are always dishes to be done. But being able to witness Cayla savagely insult Hunter 24/7 makes it worth it. So even though I value my alone time I am glad I’m surrounded by such fun and interesting people.

I am proud of us all for having the courage to get on the plane to come here, and I am happy to report that it seems all of us are more than content with where we are at in life. Australia is only a temporary home for us, but I hope these new friendships are forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment