Sunday, February 5, 2017

An Overwhelming Start

We’ve been in Sydney for a little over two weeks now but have experienced a month’s worth of adventure. This lonely continent on the other side of the world is full of diverse and vibrant people, and even more diverse and vibrant bugs…
So far, I have toured the iconic Sydney Opera House, toured Sydney Olympic Park, learned more than I expected about the Aboriginal peoples who founded this astounding land, and discovered the sun is a lot stronger here. I have observed a world of differences in comparison to the United States and have answered many questions about Donald Trump.
Yes, I have to talk about Donald Trump.
Now as I sit here on the couch reflecting on my time so far, I am overwhelmed to say the least. I am overwhelmed by the amount of love and passion people have for one another here and their ability to see the happier side of life. People don’t seem as consumed by the deafening cycles of depressing news here. Those around me in this city don’t want to normalize the fact that we Americans have a volatile leader in charge now. When I am asked about this 70-year-old man who now identifies as the forty-fifth president of the United States, there is pain and confusion in their eyes.
I anticipated that I'd be asked this question a time or two during my three and a half months stay here, but I did not prepare myself to be so numb by the way it has been asked. Of course I couldn't have anticipated our President would have disrespected Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull just two weeks in to his term. Thus, needless to say, the people of Australia are even more confused and asking way more questions than I could have imagined.
As Dr. Miller told us just in class today, it is hard to comprehend just how much America influences people's way of life all over the world. Right now, America is in turmoil whether we want to face it or not.

In slighting one of our closest allies, our President has caused a lot of unrest here in Australia. I have no doubt that the next three months will bring more surprises… and a lot more questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment