Thursday, February 2, 2017

My Special Place

We've been in Australia for a little over two weeks so far and I am pretty sure it is one of my favorite places on the entire planet. It's just similar enough to the US where I don't get homesick, but it is just different enough to where I feel like I am still on vacation. Hopefully, that feeling will last the entire trip. There's just so much world out there to be explored and I want to see as much of it as I can. My goal is to have something major and new to look forward to each weekend. Some weekends that might just be exploring Sydney, butother weekends that is exploring the country and the world. I will eat a ham sandwich every day for lunch if it means being able to afford a plane ticket to Vanuatu, Bali, or Malaysia. I may never be on this side of the world again, so I want to see as much of God's creation as I possibly can while here.

In the short time that we've been in the world's only continent nation I have got to see and experience so many amazing things and places. One of my top favorites so far would be getting to tour Olympic Park. There's just something about being in a place where history was made that gets me very excited. Our tour was very informative and fun, even after the hour commute by bus and train. We got to stand on the gold medal podium where the winning athletes stood and got to see the box seats of big companies firsthand. I knew I wanted to come back when the tour ended, so I decided to perform my people watching paper observations there as well.

After watching the fun things that Australians do when they don't realize people are staring at them, I decided to explore a bit. There is way more to Olympic Park than ANZ Stadium and the train station. I walked around the area for several hours looking at the various stadiums and sports venues. At one part I discovered a long dock surrounded by a tranquil pond. At another area I found the original Olympic cauldron and got to walk inside of it (it is a water feature now). I'm such a kid that I even played in a giant fountain. When Adele comes in March, I will get to go back to see her there too! I know if I ever come back to Australia I will take my family or friends to Olympic Park just to tell them about how much I enjoy it and to give them its history. For real, I love that place.

To me that is what seeing the world is all about--finding unique locales and making them your special place. They can be a place of comfort, solace, or just enjoyment. The point is that we all just need to make the most of our time here and seek out every nook and cranny to find the spots we enjoy most. When everyone departs back to the US we will all have our special places to tell people about. Some people may love a certain coffee shop, others may love the beach, but so far my favorite little slice of Sydney is Olympic Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment