Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Culture in Australia

When I was getting ready to come to Australia, I had this stereotype in my mind that Australia was full of blonde haired, tanned skin, blue eyed men and women who surfed a lot and were laid back.  As I've been here though, I have realized that yes, there are Australians that fit this stereotype, but in reality Australia is filled with unique people from multiple different backgrounds.  One of the first people that I met was from London.  In fact, I have met over a dozen people from London, Spain, New Zealand, France, and Thailand.  It seems that Australia is a "melting pot" of nationalities.  Whether someone is simply staying here for school, lived here for six years, or has lived here their whole life, everyone is immersed in culture.

If you just walk around the city, you can see China town, a german restaurant, a french restaurant, costumes and dances from other countries,  and so much more.  When you ask an Australian what types of foods their country is known for, a lot of them respond by saying that the food here is a mix of every other countries food.  There is literally so many different options for food all in the same street.  It's this mix of culture that makes me really love Australia.  Yes, there are people who live their wholes lives in Australia, but there are also those who bring their culture here and mix it in to create the great atmosphere and diversity of Australia! One thing that I've noticed is how everyone travels in Australia.  Although there is great diversity and mixes of culture, it seems that the little interaction between so many countries in Australia sparks the interest of many to go out and have the full experience of going to another country.  I know now, experiencing so much diversity and cultures in Australia has made me see how much of the world I want to experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment