Thursday, February 9, 2017

My weekend at Surf Camp (aka PARADISE)

This past weekend was one of the best times of my life, without a doubt.

I met some of the most spectacular people, fed HUGE wild stingrays, and learned how to shred some baby waves on a surfboard. Did I mention we shared a campground with wild kangaroos?

When we boarded the bus to Bendalong Beach on Friday evening, I felt at peace with myself and was optimistic for new adventure. Regardless of the shooting pain caused by multiple blisters on both of my feet and a slight fever, I felt ready to take on the world. The bus was buzzing with amazing vibes and even better music (Tom has a killer playlist). As I befriended some girls from the Czech Republic who were sitting next to me, I glanced out the window to my left and witnessed one of the most jaw-dropping sunsets. In that moment, life felt so good.

Tom, who was our gnarly bus driver/surf instructor if you haven't figured that out yet, pulled the rickety bus over into the grass because this sunset was "too good not to stop and take it in".
Tom set the tone for the entire trip and it was one that I will carry with me forever. He and his surf crew were some of the nicest, genuine, carefree people I have ever come across. The popular Australian phrase "no worries" is not only something they say often but rather a way of life. 

What I loved most about surf camp was that my mind was free the entire time I was there and I realized how much I sweat the little things on a daily basis. Surf camp taught me to live in the moment and love life as often as you breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment