Thursday, February 2, 2017

With Arms Wide Open


It has been a little over two weeks since my feet first hit the ground in Sydney, Australia, and it’s been two weeks already full of ups and downs. Homesickness has hit me pretty hard in the last week or so, and I oftentimes found myself wondering why I signed up for this program in the first place. I’d go on Facebook and see all my friends and family posting about everything happening in their lives, and instead of living through these experiences with them, I had to observe them from an ocean away.

Amid missing my best friend and little brother, I knew I needed to explore or try something new here in Sydney in order to combat it; a few girls and I came across an opportunity that we simply could not pass up. This past Friday and Saturday, a few of us went to Hillsong Church’s Powerhouse Summerfest, a young adult conference. We didn’t know a single person upon arriving, but by the end of it, I had so many friends that I felt like I had known my entire life.

Growing up in the South, there was a church on just about every corner in every town, but it was challenging for me to find a church family I could call home, and I struggled with it for most of life growing up. But when I cam to Hillsong, this church opened their doors to us and I have met the most genuine people in probably all of Sydney. In less than a week, I’ve meandered through art museums, been invited to rooftop parties, and eaten gelato with people from all over the world, and it’s these moments I know I’m going to look back on and cherish forever.  

The best part of it all is that not only am I experiencing a new culture firsthand, including in church, but I know that I will keep these friendships even after I return home from Sydney. These girls are so invested in us and our wellbeing here. Knowing that there are local girls here who will be there for me no matter what is such a comforting feeling, one that I never expected to feel while I was here. 

So thank you Jess from London, Laura from New Zealand, and Chelsea and Jess from Sydney. Thank you for greeting me with open arms on Cockatoo Island last Friday. Thank you for making me feel more at home in church than I ever have before. Thank you for introducing me to your friends as "the American girls I have told you so much about." Thank you for curing my homesickness and making Sydney feel more and more like home everyday. 


No comments:

Post a Comment